Aston Martin expect four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel to race on for them in Formula 1 next season and an announcement is imminent, team owner Lawrence Stroll confirmed.
“We are delighted with Sebastian. It is our firm intention to continue with him next year and beyond,” said the Canadian billionaire, when Aston Martin announced earlier on Tuesday that they had started building their new F1 factory at Silverstone.
Vettel, who won his four titles with Red Bull from 2010-13, joined the team from Ferrari at the end of last year.
This season, Vettel is 12th in the championship after 14 races, with Stroll’s son Lance a place behind. He took second place in Azerbaijan and was disqualified from second in Hungary after his car had insufficient fuel remaining after the race.
Vettel’s career stats show that apart from the quartet of world titles he has on his CV, the 34-year-old has stood on an F1 podium 122 times, on 53 occasions as a Grand Prix winner. His last victory was at the 2019 Singapore Grand Prix, which remains Ferrari’s last P1 finish to date.
The German has also been increasingly outspoken on environmental issues and climate change.
Stroll said Vettel’s personal views had “no bearing whatsoever on our strong and ongoing desire for him to continue to drive for us in Formula One”. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin)