Join DRAKE at STAKE F1 PARTNER
Leclerc: I don't think we should give attention to rumours

Leclerc: I don’t think we should give attention to rumours

Leclerc: I don't think we should give attention to rumours
Charles Leclerc addressed the rumours surrounding Ferrari team boss, Mattia Binotto’s future, insisting it’s part of the game, and shouldn’t be given attention.

Leclerc’s frustration has increased over the course of the 2022 Formula 1 season after an array of Ferrari mistakes meant his Title fight was over quite early, keeping in mind a couple of moments of driver error that he should own up to.

But as the rumours about Mattia Binotto’s future following reports in the Italian media emerged a few days ago, the Monegasque is following the Maranello narrative that insisted all these reports are unfounded, issuing a statement in that regard.

The subject naturally came up in Thursday’s drivers’ press conference in Abu Dhabi, and Leclerc was asked about his reaction to the Binotto stories.

He said: “I mean, overall, there are always rumours around Formula 1, and especially around Ferrari and this doesn’t change. Obviously, when we are getting to the end of the season, there are always voices around us.

“But I think as a team, we really need to focus on our job and on track, try to extract all of the things that are happening around the team,” he added.

Ferrari made a big step forward in 2022

The Ferrari driver tried to support his boss for the turnaround the team has done in 2022, admitting they still need to do more.

“People tend to forget how big of a step we’ve done from last year to this year,” he pointed out. “There’s definitely another step that we need to do but I am sure that we’ll do it all together, and starting with this race, hopefully to finish on a high this season.

“But apart from that, there’s nothing more to say. I don’t think we should give too much attention to that,” Leclerc insisted.

Ferrari’s statement denying Binotto’s was quick after the reports emerged, and Leclerc was asked why he though those rumours started in the first place.

His answer was: “Well, obviously, it’s a big statement, what was made by the media but again, they remain rumours, but also for the team in itself it’s not great to read these things.

“So I think it’s good that the team has cleared the air, and hopefully we can focus 100% on that last weekend, that again, is an important one,” the 25-year-old maintained.

Good to finish the season second

Leclerc enters the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend tied on points with Red Bull’s Sergio Perez in the runner up position for the Drivers’ Championship, as Ferrari need to fend off a Mercedes attack for second in the Constructors’ Championship, 19 points separating both teams.

Asked if his F1-75 will have the pace needed to finish the season well, he said: “Well, I hope so. It’s been a bit up and down in the last few races.

“Brazil has been good but unfortunately because of our first lap incident, it was all about coming back to the front, but the pace was there so I hope we’ll be strong enough to fight for the top positions.

“Obviously, we are fighting for the second place in the Drivers’ Championship and also the second place in the Constructors’ Championship,” Leclerc added.

“And again, after going through very two very tough years in 2020 and 2021, it will be good to be back fighting at the top, even though our goal is to fight for the championship in which eventually after these difficult years it will be good to be second,” the Ferrari ace concluded.