Sebastian Vettel has said that he does not have any regrets about his Ferrari exit, while acknowledging that last season “was a challenge”.
Ahead of the start of the 2020 campaign Ferrari decided not to renew the German’s contract, opting to replace him with Carlos Sainz.
With his fate already determined, Vettel endured one of the toughest seasons of his career, finishing on the podium just once and ending the year 13th in the standings, 65 points adrift of his teammate Charles Leclerc.
Midway through the year Vettel agreed to join Aston Martin, replacing Sergio Perez, and speaking at the launch of the AMR21 on Wednesday he said that he was at peace with his departure from the Scuderia.
“In all honesty, the whole year was a challenge,” he said. “I’ve thought about this a lot at the time last year.
“I’m obviously not happy with how last year went in terms of performance, entirely my performance, but I think I accepted [it] and I don’t have any regrets.
“I know that it hasn’t been to my standards that I mostly hold myself [to]. I’ve never really cared what people think or say or, sorry, write. So that’s why I think it’s important that I’m at peace with that myself.
“I’m very much looking forward to this year, and for sure having very, very high expectations myself.”
Vettel got his first opportunity to drive his new Aston Martin car on Thursday during a filming at Silverstone and will be back in action next week for pre-season testing in Bahrain.