Every car owner has dreamt of owning their one special sports car in their life and let’s be real, it is a huge deal if you’re getting yourself one these beauties.
However, the road is not without caution here, and we need to get some knowledge before diving into a huge investment.
Right from the Ferrari Series to a more nominal and pocket-friendly sports car; they all have their own set of specification, maintenance, fuel-efficiency, resale value, etc. In this article, we are looking at a few essential points that you need to know before purchasing a sports car.
Let’s get started.
Can You Afford a Sports Car?
This seems like a fair question to ask yourself when you’re planning for a sports car. And no, it’s not too late to ask this question. The upfront cost of any vehicle is the amount you pay to the buyer; whether brand-new or reseller. Of course, getting a car from a factory floor is going to be pricey, but you can explore cheaper options too from various car brands and second-hand sellers.
However, buying a sports car, or any other car entails a list of running costs, including insurance premium, road tax, fuel money, and higher expenditure on parts, car garage service, etc. You need to budget according to the overhead costs.
Don’t worry, there is also good news here!
Since a sports car’s value depreciates much less than other usual cars, your resale value will always be high enough to go through the effort and money.
Now that you have decided on your budget, let’s take a look at the different types of sports cars.
Which Sports Car is right for me?
For a few, sports cars are limited to the world of Lamborghinis and Ferrari, however, a true car lover knows the plethora of options that are available in the car market. There are convertibles and non-convertibles, rear and front-wheel drive, coupé or hard roof, etc. Before you get confused between these choices, let me make it comfortable for you.
You can look for petrol-sucking powerhouses or go for a more fuel-friendly sports car. This decision would definitely affect your budget so make sure you’re researching about your dream car well enough before taking the leap.
On the other hand, there are a lot of driving skills like handling, visibility, noise levels, positions, etc that affect the overall performance of your car along with your comfort level. Make sure you read about them and go for test drives before coming on a conclusive decision.
When it comes to driving, most sports cars offer a very different experience from the normal vehicle. Most of the sports cars are rear-wheel drive which allows for sharper steering and handling, however, a driver will take some time to learn how not to oversteer and use the machine with comfort and confidence. On the other hand, you can also find some sports cars that are four-wheel drives and so on. There is no limit on options!
One of the most crucial decisions when buying a sports car is whether you want a closed-roof coupé or an open-roof convertible. Let’s take a look at both their pros, helping you to make a decision.
• A coupé with its sound structure and robust make give you better and smooth handling, without the shaking scuttle or cabin noise. However, convertibles cannot give you the same assurance.
• A closed-roof coupé will also be cheaper than the convertible, except a few exceptions.
• With a convertible, you will always have to think about the weather, however, you won’t be facing the same issue with a closed-roof coupé.
• Your interiors like seats, dashboards, gear, etc are more protected with a coupé when compared to convertibles.
Convertibles are also popular as they allow you to truly enjoy the weather, from the blazing sun to the wind in your hair. Someone who likes to be closer to the sound of the engine and lives in a country with lots of sunlight would definitely go for a convertible.
Even with convertibles, you get the hard-roof or the soft-top convertible, giving you yet another reason to dive down into the many specifications of your sports car and get to know it better before buying it.
There are many other specifications like trim levels, engine power, etc that can be a key factor in deciding your sports car. Apart from your personal taste here, you should also consider the resale value of your car as some specifications are more sought after than the others. The colours, tyres, car seats, and other preferences make a huge difference in your resale value.
Sports Car & Maintenance
Let’s come to a very crucial point of any car – Maintenance and Repair. For any other car, it is fairly easy to procure their parts , either original or duplicate, and make your way through the lifespan of the car with MOTs, regular check ups, full car service, and more.
However, with sports cars, you have to make sure they are in the best condition since their breakdowns and repair parts are much more expensive.
Here are some tips and tricks to keep your sports car in a good condition, and you can always take it to the repair shop when something goes astray.
• Tyres are a very important safety part that needs to be inspected and up-to date at all times. A sports car is bound to drive at a high speed, putting extra pressure on your tyres. Make sure to keep an eye on the tread depth, wear and pressures, rotation, alignment, and all the other aspects of your tyre.
• Fluids are another reason why most breakdowns happen. If you don’t want to be stranded on the road, check your car fluids like brake fluid, power steering, oil, etc regularly, knowing the signs when they are to be changed.
• You have a sports car, make sure it looks like one. Go for regular wash or clean it at home to protect the car from corrosion and fading colours. As a low-riding car, pay heed to the undercarriage and wheel to keep it away from all the mud and debris.
• For all those opting for soft convertible, keep an eye on your fabric hood, giving it a good clean regularly. You don’t want to ruin the fabric because of all the dirt and buildup.
This brings us to the end of our article. We have covered every crucial aspect of buying and owning a sports car. Hope you found this beneficial and informative. If you’re looking for more such articles, keep watching this space!