Wolff: Mercedes ready to sign Concorde Agreement

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff on Friday signalled that the champions were now prepared to sign a new deal with commercial rights holders Liberty Media but at the same time cast fresh doubt on his future.

The Austrian had said at Silverstone last week that Mercedes were not ready to sign a new ‘Concorde Agreement’ covering the period from 2021 to 2026. The window for signing opens on Tuesday with a final deadline of 31 August.

“I have changed my opinion in Silverstone,” he said in a video news conference at the Spanish Grand Prix. “I don’t think that the teams will ever be united.

“Everybody tries to achieve some little deals outside, there is a blame culture in the media, so we have decided to move forward with Liberty.”

Wolff said he had “very constructive” talks with Formula One chief executive Chase Carey last weekend and most of the clarifications Mercedes had wanted to achieve had been discussed.

“I feel we are at a good point to sign the Concorde Agreement and move on,” he added.

Wolff, a shareholder in Mercedes F1, was more guarded on whether he would remain principal next year of a team that has won the last six drivers’ and constructors’ championships.

His future is closely linked to that of six times world champion Lewis Hamilton, who is out of contract at the end of the year but looks sure to stay.

“There are many factors that make me want to stay in Formula 1,” said Wolff. “On the other side, it takes a toll and it plays into my consideration. As it stands, there is no reason not to continue with Mercedes and we will find out in which role.”

Full report regarding Toto’s future here>>>