FIA President Jean Todt has offered his “support and solidarity” to the entire motorsport community amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, he said in a video message on Tuesday.
After facing criticism last week for his handling of the 2020 Formula 1 season-opener in Melbourne, the message marked his second communication in 24-hours regarding the ongoing crisis that is gripping the globe, reiterating that the coronavirus will continue to affect the hosting of motorsport events for some time to come.
“Protecting people has to be the priority. I would like to express my support and solidarity to all citizens, and those that contribute to motorsport and mobility,” he said in the video, posted to his personal Twitter account.
As things stand, all F1 races before May have been cancelled, but it is widely expected that the season will not start until June 5-7 in Azerbaijan at the earliest, as most governments are prohibiting mass gatherings in order to limit the spread of the virus.
As the leader of F1’s governing body, Todt voiced his support for such measures.
“It is our shared responsibility to take all the necessary measures, and I urge you to strictly apply to the WHO’s safety instructions, and the ones of your national governments,” he said.
“Only our individual discipline will allow us to overcome this virus. Together, we will do it.”
— Jean Todt (@JeanTodt) March 16, 2020