In the wake of a Brazilian Grand Prix week packed with headlines reporting Rio de Janeiro’s bid to take the country’s Formula 1 race away from Sao Paulo.
But mayor Joao Doria is confident his city will keep the race at Interlagos where it has been hosted on 37 occasions, including last Sunday.
Throughout the weekend at Interlagos, fuelled by comments made earlier in 2019 by Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, speculation wafted up and down the paddock about Rio de Janeiro potentially taking over the race.
But Doria told reporters on Sunday: “As far as we are concerned, F1 will be in Sao Paulo for another ten years. We will make further progress during the first week of December with Chase Carey and his team to formalise a ten-year deal.”
Doria said it is notable that six-time world champion Lewis Hamilton also supports the race staying in Sao Paulo. “Here we have traditions and drivers consider Interlagos to be one of the best and most relevant race tracks in the world.”
“I don’t want to debate with governor Witzel, president Bolsonaro and Rio de Janeiro, but we are going to do everything we can to keep the race where it is,” insisted Doria.