Massa withdraws from Budapest test

Felipe Massa

Felipe Massa has withdrawn from this week’s Budapest Formula One test after missing the Hungarian Grand Prix because he felt unwell.

His Williams team said on Monday that Canadian Lance Stroll would drive on Tuesday instead, with young Italian Luca Ghiotto making his Formula One test debut as previously scheduled on Wednesday.

Massa, who felt dizzy in practice last Friday and Saturday, was replaced at the weekend by the team’s experienced British reserve driver Paul di Resta.

The Brazilian is expected to return for the Belgian Grand Prix at the end of August, although there are no certainties.

“I think we’re optimistic. It would be really a great shame if he wasn’t ready for Spa,” team technical head Paddy Lowe said at the weekend. “That’s four weeks away so he ought to be in good shape by then.”