Overview of power unit elements used by drivers and their respective teams after six rounds of the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship, ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix weekend in Montreal.
Power unit element useage:
|Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull TAG Heuer||2||2||2||2||1||2|
|Max Verstappen||Red Bull TAG Heuer||2||2||2||2||1||2|
|Sergio Perez||Force India Mercedes||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|Esteban Ocon||Force India Mercedes||1||1||1||1||2||1|
|Felipe Massa||Williams Mercedes||1||1||1||1||2||1|
|Lance Stroll||Williams Mercedes||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|Fernando Alonso||McLaren Honda||3||5||5||3||1||1|
|Stoffel Vandoorne||McLaren Honda||2||5||5||3||5||5|
|Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso Renault||2||2||2||2||1||1|
|Carlos Sainz||Toro Rosso Renault||2||2||3||3||2||2|
|Romain Grosjean||Haas Ferrari||2||3||2||2||2||2|
|Kevin Magnussen||Haas Ferrari||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|Marcus Ericsson||Sauber Ferrari||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|Pascal Wehrlein||Sauber Ferrari||2||2||2||2||2||3|
Formula 1 power unit regulations state:
- Unless he drives for more than one team, each driver may use no more than four power units during a championship season. The only exception is where the power unit is provided by a manufacturer or supplier taking part in its first championship season, in which case up to five may be used by a driver.
- The power unit is deemed to consist of six separate elements: the internal combustion engine (ICE), the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), the energy store (ES), turbocharger (TC) and control electronics (CE).
- Each driver is permitted to use only four of each of the above six elements during a championship season and any combination of them may be fitted to a car at any one time. Should a driver use more than four of any of the six power unit elements during the course of a season, a grid penalty will be imposed.
- The penalties imposed for using additional elements work thus: the first time a fifth of any of the elements is used, a ten-place grid penalty will be imposed. A five-place grid penalty will then be imposed the first time a fifth of any of the remaining elements is used. Likewise, the first time a sixth of any of the elements is used, a ten-place grid penalty will be imposed, and so on.
- During any single event, if a driver introduces more than one of a power unit element that is subject to a grid penalty, only the last element fitted may be used at subsequent events without further penalty.
- If a driver is replaced at any time during the season his replacement will be deemed to be the original driver for the purposes of assessing power unit usage.
- Teams may only use homologated power units.