Britain’s Paul Di Resta will continue as reserve driver for Williams this season, the Formula One team announced on Monday.
The 30-year-old Scot raced for Force India in 58 grands prix between 2011 and 2013, scoring 121 points, and became Williams’ reserve last year.
He will attend races in his role, ready to stand in if needed.
“His extensive Formula One knowledge will once again be invaluable, especially with new regulations in place for the 2017 season,” said deputy team principal Claire Williams in a statement.
Mercedes-powered Williams have 18-year-old Canadian rookie Lance Stroll as one of their race drivers, along with Brazilian veteran Felipe Massa.
Rule changes, with wider tyres and faster cornering speeds, are expected to make the cars harder to handle and more of a physical challenge for drivers.
Williams Martini Racing is pleased to announce Paul Di Resta will remain as its official Reserve Driver for the 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship season.
Paul made his Formula One debut in 2009 as a test driver with the Force India Formula One Team, after winning the European Formula 3 Championship in 2006. Paul went on to secure the DTM title in 2010 before making his Formula One debut in 2011 with Force India where he spent three seasons with the team, scoring a total of 121 points.
Paul became Reserve Driver for Williams in 2016, and for the 2017 season he will once again spend extensive time with the team at races to ensure he is fully accustomed to the controls and procedures of the Williams Mercedes FW40, should he be required to step into the cockpit during the season.
Speaking about remaining at the team Paul said: “I am delighted to remain at Williams as Reserve Driver for the 2017 season. I’m looking forward to getting to grips with the controls and procedures of the FW40 and understanding the new regulations. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Claire and everyone at Williams for their continued support in being part of the team.”
Deputy Team Principal, Claire Williams added: “It’s great for us to retain someone with Paul’s experience in the team. His extensive Formula One knowledge will once again be invaluable, especially with new regulations in place for the 2017 season. Paul has been a great asset to the team over the past year and it is great that we will be able to continue working with him again in 2017.”