Force India has announced it will sit out the first winter test of the 2015 Formula 1 season, which gets underway at Jerez in southern Spain on 1 February.
It was already known that, having recently ‘launched’ the 2015 livery with a show-car featuring a new-style nose, the Silverstone based team would not test the VJM08 at Jerez beginning on Sunday.
Initially, Force India planned to run the 2014 car instead, but the team announced on Twitter on Wednesday: “We have chosen not to run the old car in Jerez. The learning opportunities would have been limited so the focus is now on Barcelona.”
But despite his and co-owner Subrata Roy’s off-track legal troubles, team supremo Vijay Mallya insists all is well with Force India.
“The new car has been completely developed in Cologne,” the Indian told Kolner Express newspaper, referring to the decision to use Toyota’s state of the art wind tunnel. “It is regarded as one of the best in the world and is a big step for us.”
“We are proud that we were often better than McLaren last year. And once the European season begins, we want to be keeping up with the big teams,” he said.