Join DRAKE at STAKE F1 PARTNER

Heidfeld and Sutil not giving up on Formula 1

Timo Glock (GER) Virgin Racing; Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing; Michael Schumacher (GER) Mercedes GP; Nick Heidfeld (GER) Lotus Renault GP; Adrian Sutil (GER) Force India F1; Nico Rosberg (GER) Mercedes GP. Formula One World Championship, Rd 10, German Grand Prix, Preparations, Nurburgring, Germany, Thursday 21 July 2011.
Nick Heidfeld and Adrian Sutil with fellow German F1 drivers Timo Glock, Sebastian Vettel, Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg at the German GP last year

Feb.29 (GMM)  German drivers Nick Heidfeld and Adrian Sutil on Tuesday said they have not given up despite not having any prospects for a place on the 2012 Formula 1 grid.

2011 was Heidfeld’s twelfth consecutive season on the grid, but the 34-year-old former Williams, BMW and Renault driver has been left without a seat for 2012.

He will race at the fabled 24 hour Le Mans race this year, but on Tuesday said that he still hopes to be involved in F1.

“Of course I’ve been trying to get a seat,” he said on Austrian television Servus TV, “but we all know that it’s not easy at the moment, with money playing a big role.

“I’ve been there [in F1] for many years, it was a great time, but I would still like to be involved for a bit longer,” added Heidfeld.

Also forced onto the sidelines in 2012 is Sutil, the former Force India driver who has vowed to fight his new conviction for grievous bodily harm.

“The plan, very clearly, is formula one,” he insisted on Tuesday.

“This is a new situation for me, but I’m motivated. Maybe I am having to have a short break, but it could be over very quickly if any opportunities open up.

“I’m hopeful,” the 29-year-old admitted. “It’s always difficult to make plans in this business, but I would like to come back in 2013 with a very good team.

“It’s a shame for me that I will probably not be there at the start in Melbourne, but hopefully one way or another I will [be back] in the course of the year,” added Sutil.

Subbed by AJN