Bahrain pushes ahead amid controversy

Start of the 2010 Bahrain GP

Start of the 2010 Bahrain GP

Jan.10 (GMM & PVM) Organisers of the Bahrain grand prix are pushing ahead with preparations for April’s race despite renewed calls to have the race axed fro the Formula 1 calendar.

Last year’s pre-season test and race at the Sakhir circuit were cancelled amid the civil uprising within the troubled island Kingdom.

F1 has scheduled to return to Bahrain this year but reports of strife persist, amid claims from human rights groups that the sport’s participants should boycott the April 22 event.

But a spokesman for the circuit says Bahrain has taken strides forward with the independent report into the unrest, insisting the government has subsequently reacted “swiftly and convincingly”

“Last year, the King of Bahrain commissioned an independent report into alleged human rights abuses, the findings of which were published in November,” a spokesman for the Bahrain International Circuit said.

“The report found evidence of human rights violations and made certain general and specific recommendations. The Government has fully acknowledged the findings of the report and is acting swiftly and convincingly on the recommendations.

“The Bahrain Grand Prix forms a fundamental part of the local economy. It is supported by an overwhelming majority of people from all sections of society in Bahrain and represents a symbol of national unity.

“The independent report was a milestone for Bahrain and we will now work tirelessly to ensure that the race is a great success.”

.