Sainz takes back seat after Verstappen signing

Carlos Sainz

Carlos Sainz

In the wake of Max Verstappen’s controversial signing, life goes on for two other drivers who were overtaken by the fresh-faced teenager.

Last year, Antonio Felix da Costa was the cream of Red Bull‘s development programme, but a dip in form saw him miss out on a Toro Rosso seat to Daniil Kvyat. Now, Verstappen has overtaken the 22-year-old Portuguese as well.

“I can only say that I have never enjoyed a season as much as this year in DTM with BMW and Red Bull,” da Costa, also involved in the new Formula E series, wrote on Instagram. “(DTM is) such a hard series full of pro drivers. May another 10 years come, and best of luck to this kid Max Verstappen.”

Da Costa also sent out his best wishes to Carlos Sainz, who until Verstappen’s surprise contention at Toro Rosso was expected to make his Formula 1 debut in 2015.

“To you my friend Carlos Sainz, I have been there,” said da Costa. “Just keep pushing because that’s what you’re seriously good at!”

The Spanish sports newspaper Marca claims that, following promising meetings recently between 19-year-old Sainz, his famous namesake and father and Helmut Marko, the Sainz duo is now confused about the future.

AS newspaper reported that in the wake of Verstappen’s signing, 19-year-old Sainz met again with Red Bull’s Marko on Wednesday.

“The meeting was positive,” said the driver, currently comfortably leading the competitive Formula Renault 3.5 series. “Red Bull wants to support me and are trying to find a solution, even for next year.” (GMM)