Montreal long term F1 deal set to be announced

Formula One World Championship, Rd7, Canadian Grand Prix, Race, Montreal, Canada, Sunday 10 June 2012.

A long term Canadian Grand Prix deal is on the verge of being signed and announced in Montreal.

It had been expected that officials would announce at noon on Friday that the fabled Circuit Gilles Villeneuve’s place in grand prix racing has been secured for the next ten years.

But Marc Tougas, correspondent for The Canadian Press news agency, said that a press conference involving the ‘key stakeholders’ has now been arranged for Saturday morning at the track.

“It obviously took 24 hours to finalise the details,” said Tougas.

The report, appearing in the French language La Presse newspaper, said that Montreal mayor Denis Coderre and local and federal government representatives will also be at the “major announcement regarding the Grand Prix of Canada”. (GMM)