Alonso to flag off Le Mans 24 Hour race 27 May, 2014 Fernando Alonso Ferrari Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso will wave the official starting flag for this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race next month. The Spaniard, who was invited by the organisers as a leading representative of Ferrari, said he looked forward to catching up with old friend Mark Webber, the Australian who now competes for Porsche after leaving F1 champions Red Bull last year. “We miss him in Formula One and I want to know how he’s getting on in Endurance racing,” the double world champion told the Ferrari website. Alonso said that he was also hoping to get some insights into the technology used in the hybrid sportscars compared to Formula One, which has entered a new era this year with V6 turbo hybrid Power Units. The 82nd edition of Le Mans runs at the Sarthe circuit in western France over the weekend of June 14 and 15. (Reuters) Tweet Related NewsAlonso: My own future is very low priority at the momentRaikkonen: We don’t expect to suddenly jump to the frontBerger: If I was Ferrari I would keep AlonsoAlonso squeezing Ferrari for big severance payoutCan Vettel emulate Schumacher’s success at Ferrari?Massa: Kimi’s problem is psychologicalVideo: Ferrari tribute for birthday boy RaikkonenRaikkonen staying at Ferrari amid Alonso departure reportsMontezemolo: Fernando is leaving Ferrari for two reasonsDomenicali joins Audi, will Alonso follow?