Monaco to be more interesting than usual predicts Perez

Sergio Perez crashed heavilly during the 2011 Monaco GP qualifying

Sergio Perez crashed heavilly during the 2011 Monaco GP Qualifying

Although critical of Formula 1’s new V6 turbo era, Force India driver Sergio Perez admits this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix will be “more interesting than usual”.

Two weeks ago in Spain, the Mexican was highly critical of the 2014 season so far, saying it is “embarrassing” that GP2 cars are now rivalling Formula 1 for laptime.

However, he expects drivers grappling with their high-torque turbo-powered cars between the Armco at tight and twisty Monaco will be a spectacle.

“It will be really interesting here,” Perez told Auto Motor und Sport in the Principality on Wednesday. “We will see drivers make many mistakes. It will definitely be more exciting than in recent years.”As per usual, Monaco rewards those with the highest level of commitment, prepared to brush the barriers for the reward of tenths.

The penalty for errors, however, is even higher, and Perez thinks that is doubly true for Monaco in 2014.

“An error here will cost you a hell of a lot,” he said. “There is no particular area where it is more difficult – it is going to affect the whole track.”

In 2011, driving for Sauber, Perez had a big crash at the harbour chicane during Monaco qualifying which forced him to miss the race and also sit out the Canadian Grand Prix two weeks later. (GMM)

Subbed by AJN.