Mercedes AMG Petronas began the second in-season test of 2014 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya today, with Lewis Hamilton taking the wheel of the F1 W05 Hybrid for the first of two days’ running in Barcelona this week. Lewis’ best time of 1:26.674 from 79 laps put him third on the time sheets;
- Tuesday’s programme began with control systems evaluation in damp conditions before the break.
- Afternoon running focused on setup, engine management and aero evaluations in addition to practice starts.
- Pirelli’s wet and intermediate tyres were used in the morning, the medium compound dry tyres in the afternoon.
- Lewis emerged for his first run at 09:00 local time, completing 27 laps in the morning and 52 laps in the afternoon.
- Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 1215 km between all teams.
- Nico Rosberg will take the wheel of the F1 W05 Hybrid for the second and final day of the test.
Lewis Hamilton: Today was a pretty normal test day. We completed a lot of practice starts and tried a few different things with the car during the afternoon once the track dried out a bit. Of course, test days aren’t as much fun as a race but it’s part of the job. It’s important for the team and it’s also been productive for me in terms of getting the car where I want it after struggling at times last weekend. Conditions were obviously very different but we got some dry running in and I felt happier with the car by the end of the day. Every lap you do in the car you learn a little bit more and these in-season tests are useful given the limited running time we have.
Subbed by AJN.