Haas need to sort out F 1engine deal as soon as possible

Gene Haas

Gene Haas

Colin Kolles is at the helm of ‘Forza Rossa’, a team that the FIA on Friday said could be next in line for a Formula 1 debut.

At a World Motor Sport Council meeting in Morocco, the governing body approved the 2015 entry of Californian Gene Haas’ outfit, called Haas Formula.

And the FIA said that “further investigations” are ongoing for another “high standard” application filed by Forza Rossa.

It is believed that Forza Rossa is the name of former HRT boss Kolles’ new Romanian-backed project.

However, Friday’s news was even better for Haas, despite the fact his NASCAR team co-owner, Tony Stewart, is not involved in the new project.

“Now the really hard work begins,” Haas said in a statement on Friday.

Last week, he had warned that the entire project was “up in the air”, including the identity of the team’s 2015 engine supplier.

“As things go forward it will be clearer, but you can’t really do anything until we actually have been notified that we’re a participant,” he had said.

He seemed to contradict speculation he could bring the Ford name back to the grid, in collaboration with famous Formula 1 supplier Cosworth.

“There’s only three engine suppliers, you’ve got Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari,” said Haas.

“Next year there will be Honda, but probably Honda is not really viable.

“We have talked to Mercedes and with Ferrari, just preliminary discussions, but we haven’t nailed anything down yet. I guess that would be the next move,” he revealed. (GMM)

Subbed by AJN.