Amid speculation that McLaren are going all out to tempt Fernando Alonso back to the team to spearhead their new Honda era, the Spaniard has gone on record as accusing Ferrari of not delivering so far this year.
“It is clear that we have to step up,” Alonso is quoted by Diario Sport, “because we are not doing a good job so far.”
The Spaniard is in his fifth consecutive season with the Italian team without having added to his Formula 1 World Championship title tally, Alonso finished off the podium in Australia and Malaysia and qualified just tenth in Bahrain on Saturday.
After the floodlit Qualifying session in the island Kingdom, Alonso admitted that Ferrari’s new Formula 14-T car “has remained the same for the last three races” thus overtly suggesting that the team are not winning the development battle.
After Qualifying, where he was beaten for the first time this season by Ferrari returnee Kimi Raikkonen, Alonso said, “We tried our best as usual today and now we need to wait for the car to come back from parc ferme to work out why there was a drop in power in Q3.”
Last year the two time world champion landed himself in hot water when he criticised the Maranello outfit’s efforts, which was not well received by the team’s President, Luca di Montezemolo.
Many believe that the team boss reacted by hiring Raikkonen, and said at the time, “Let me make it clear that it’s Ferrari I’m interested in. Drivers, we’ve had a lot, some very good, some great, but drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains.” (GMM)
Subbed by AJN.