Salo suggests that Lotus replaces Raikkonen with Kovalainen for USA and Brazil 12 November, 2013 Heikki Kovalainen Mika Salo has suggested that fellow Finn Heikki Kovalainen is the ideal replacement at Lotus for his surgery-bound countryman Kimi Raikkonen. The conventional wisdom is that Lotus will simply promote its reserve driver, 2012 GP2 champion Davide Valsecchi, into Raikkonen’s seat for the remaining two grands prix of the season. Italian Valsecchi, however, is a rookie, but Enstone based Lotus is locked in a lucrative and – given its financial problems – crucial battle for points and prize money in the Constructors’ World Championship’s upper places. “I have thought about this for a while,” ex Formula 1 driver Mika Salo told the Finnish broadcaster MTV3, “and I think getting Heikki would be a smart idea.” The highly-rated Kovalainen is desperate to break back into Formula 1 after losing his Caterham seat at the end of last season. He is also better prepared than Valsecchi, given his appearance for Caterham on several Friday mornings in 2013. “Valsecchi will hardly be able to do anything on a completely new track to him,” Salo said, “but Heikki has raced in Austin. “Caterham also has a Renault engine. Heikki has been waiting for something like this, and if I was a team boss, I would take him rather than Valsecchi. “That’s nothing against Valsecchi, but simply about Lotus needing to score points,” added Salo. Arguably the neater solution for Lotus would be to use the Raikkonen situation to put together its permanent 2014 driver lineup ahead of time. Nico Hulkenberg is in the running for the seat next year, and he might be able to pull out of his Sauber contract, after the Swiss team was late in paying him earlier this year. A Sauber spokesperson told Speed Week: “Nico will do the last two races for us, just as he did the other 17.” Hulkenberg’s manager Werner Heinz would not comment specifically on the Raikkonen situation, but DPA news agency quotes him as saying: “We are still in talks with several teams, including Lotus.” The other known candidate to replace Raikkonen next year is the PDVSA-backed Pastor Maldonado, who will not be racing for Williams in 2014. “There are four possible candidates,” Lotus team owner Gerard Lopez told the German newspaper Die Welt. “These include Nico Hulkenberg and Pastor Maldonado, and I won’t say anything about the other two.” Undoubtedly, if Lotus’ ‘Quantum’ investment deal finally collapses, Maldonado’s Venezuelan backing will surely make him the favourite for the 2014 drive. But Lopez insists that it is wrong to write off the 28-year-old as a mere ‘pay-driver’. “Don’t forget,” he said, “Maldonado has won a grand prix. He doesn’t have to hide anything. “We would not put someone in our car who has just got their driver’s licence, no matter their means,” Lopez added. (GMM) Subbed by AJN. Tweet Related NewsBarrichello says he nearly replaced Raikkonen for final two racesBriatore: US GP showed that Lotus made very bad choice with KovalainenValsecchi: It’s a huge blow to lose out to Kovalainen who is not a great championLotus set to announce Kovalainen as Raikkonen replacement for USA and BrazilLopez: Raikkonen’s operation comes at a very unfortunate time for LotusSalo backs Raikkonen’s surgery over Lotus finaleEcclestone: I feel sorry for Raikkonen, he signed a contract and they need to pay himKovalainen: I was anticipating that it would be easier to come back and race competitivelyLotus: A disappointing way to end what has been a strong season for the teamLotus: Rather disappointing as the car has been performing well in wet conditions, captain tortuga Salo is always saying these kind of things about fellow Fins.. He is not the slightest bit bias..