Keeping Hulkenberg in 2014 is a possiblity for Sauber 8 October, 2013 Nico Hulkenberg celebrates fourth place with Monisha Kaltenborn in Korea As Nico Hulkenberg awaits news on the his future in Formula 1, his current team Sauber is not ruling out keeping the highly rated German on board in 2014. Earlier, with the 26-year-old linked with moves to Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus and even a return to Force India, it had emerged that Hulkenberg’s Sauber contract had been terminated amid Sauber’s financial struggles. With tall and heavy drivers like Hulkenberg increasingly marginalised by the new 2014 rules, some had begun to wonder if the German would be lost to F1 altogether. He would be a big loss. He finished Sunday’s Korean Grand Prix a stunning fourth, and was crowned “the man of the race” by Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda. Might Hulkenberg have finally convinced a boss in the pitlane to sign him up for 2014? “If someone is interested in me,” he is quoted by Switzerland’s 20min.ch, “they surely have been watching me for quite some time, not just one race.” Hulkenberg knows all too well that a single result, no matter how impressive, means little when it comes to signatures on a Formula 1 contract – in 2010, he was ousted by Williams immediately after securing pole in Brazil Increasingly, teams are weighing up a driver’s talent together with his purse of sponsors, and Hulkenberg’s Dekra deal is not lucrative. Since his 2013 Sauber deal was formally ended, however, the Swiss team has tied up with a group of Russian investors, and money has reportedly begun to flow. That could help explain Sauber’s impressive performance in Korea, where Lewis Hamilton rued the “incredible traction” as he failed to pass Hulkenberg’s car. Surely, Sauber must be making moves to retain Hulkenberg. “It’s a possibility for us to keep him,” team boss Monisha Kaltenborn admitted. So, after Korea, the race could be on to secure the talented German for 2014. Some sources said that Sunday’s result had tipped the scales in his favour at Lotus, who have also been considering Felipe Massa fir 2014. “We don’t judge a driver by one race,” team boss Eric Boullier told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. “We have known for a long time, and he showed it again today, that he can drive at the front in a good car,” added the Lotus boss. Hulkenberg is quoted by DPA news agency: “My mobile is on.” (GMM) Subbed by AJN. Related NewsGutierrez and Sainz feature in silly season latestSutil confirmed by Sauber as one of their drivers for 2014 seasonGutierrez says his priority is to stay with Sauber in 2014Silly Season Latest: Hulkenberg and Perez to Force India and Sutil to SauberHulkenberg in frame for 2014 race seat at Lotus, Force India or SauberSauber return in 2014 not guaranteed for PerezMaldonado visits Sauber for talks regarding 2014Raikkonen to Sauber and Hulkenberg to Lotus for Austin?Hulkenberg not paid at all this year by Sauber but may stay with them for 2014Increasingly Hulkenberg’s only option for 2014 is to remain with Sauber Lotus is funny As it might be an option for Sauber, i think it is not a real option for Hulkenberg. (unless it is his only option of course) Boycottthebull I hope it doesnt become an option for Hulkenberg. They didnt bother to pay him and made it clear they wanted the money from the teen boys daddy but now the Hulk is making Sauber look good the hypocrite Kaltenborn suddenly is all smiles and friendly to him again. Lotus just get your act together and sign him already. EazyE That would still be a better move than going to “Loltus”. Tamburello_1994 Hold out and see what happens at McLaren, Nico. Play your cards right and that could be “home” for a long time. Go to Lotus and you might not get paid. Sauber’s hopes rely on young Sergei obtaining a super licence. Do you really want to ride shotgun with that? McLaren makes the most sense.