Silly Season Latest: Back to the future as Raikkonen to swap teams with Alonso

Renault driver Fernando Alonso with Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen in 2009

Renault driver Fernando Alonso with Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen in 2009

As the Formula 1 paddock emptied at Monza, silly season speculation raged with one block buster piece of news seemingly moving into the realm of fact: Kimi Raikkonen is returning to Ferrari in 2014 and Fernando Alonso could well return to the Enstone outfit with whom he won three of his world titles.

The news was being confidently reported by broadcasters, including Germany’s RTL, the major daily Bild, and even perhaps the most respected correspondent in the paddock, Auto Motor und Sport’s Michael Schmidt.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo will reportedly inform Felipe Massa that his services are no longer required in a personal meeting at Maranello on Wednesday.

It would go some way to explaining the Italian team’s current ‘number 1′ driver Fernando Alonso’s foul mood and outbursts of recent days and weeks.

Bild reported that the long delay in the actual signing of Raikkonen’s deal is because part of his management team, David Robertson, is in hospital in the US with cancer.

Fernando Alonso leads  Kimi Raikkonen during the Italian GP

Fernando Alonso leads Kimi Raikkonen during the Italian GP

In the meantime, Spaniard Alonso has pushed hard for the status-quo, openly arguing that Massa should stay put. It appears that he has not won the day.

Der Spiegel claims to even know who will pay Raikkonen’s approximately €20 million salary – partly the Alonso-linked Spanish bank Santander, and partly team sponsor Shell.

“Let’s see what happens,” Massa told the Italian broadcaster RAI on Sunday. “Yes, this race was important for my future, but it doesn’t mean that my only future can be (wearing) red.”

He is also quoted by O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper: “He (Montezemolo) will not announce anything without talking to me, for sure. I love Ferrari. But the other teams also know what I can do.”

Finn Raikkonen, as per usual, was also giving little away at Monza, “I don’t know anything yet. Once I know, I’ll tell you.”

Indeed, once the news becomes official, the really explosive speculation may begin.

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen on the podium in Melbourne earlier in the year

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen on the podium in Melbourne earlier in the year

The German dailies Bild and Welt already report that Alonso is so unhappy with Raikkonen’s arrival that he could jump ship to fill the Finn’s place at Lotus. That move actually might not be as unlikely as it sounds.

Bild newspaper said it could coincide with a ramping up of works Renault support for the Enstone based team, backed fully by the French carmaker’s chairman Carlos Ghosn.

When asked about that potentially explosive news, Lotus team boss Eric Boullier said: “If Fernando knocks on my door, I will answer it. I just hope that I can pay for it!”

He is also quoted by Formula 1news.ru: “We are trying to establish a relationship with Renault and Total, which is important from a technical standpoint but it also may help on the financial side.”

Switzerland’s Blick newspaper reported that Nico Hulkenberg will definitely not be staying at Sauber next year. The German has been linked with Massa’s Ferrari seat, but he might also be a candidate to replace Raikkonen at Lotus.

“We all have plans and backup plans,” said Boullier.

When asked simply ‘Kimi or Nico?’ the Frenchman answered: “Good question.”

Content on GrandPrix247.com by: staff & contributors, Reuters syndication, GMM service, Getty Images, Formula 1 teams, sponsors & organisations.