Mateschitz interested in Nurburgring purchase as Ecclestone loses interest 8 July, 2013 Dietrich Mateschitz Billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz has emerged as a potential buyer of the embattled Nurburgring. The Kolner Express and Bild newspapers claim Red Bull team owner Mateschitz – who bought, demolished, rebuilt and launched the former A1-Ring in Austria – is one potential bidder. Another is the Nurburgring track boss Jorg Linder, and yet another is the German automobile club ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club). “The bids must all be placed by September,” said Bild. Meanwhile it has emerged that Bernie Ecclestone has performed a swift u-turn, having said earlier that he is “thinking about” buying the financially embattled Nurburgring. “If I [buy the circuit],” the Formula 1 chief executive had told Die Welt newspaper, “it would mean the German Grand Prix is secure in the future”. According to quotes that will appear in the Rhein-Zeitung newspaper on Monday, however, 82-year-old Briton Ecclestone has had a rapid change of heart. “I thought about it and it is not practical for me,” he said. Ecclestone’s latest comments follow reports that Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz, Nurburgring chief Jorg Lindner and the German automobile club ADAC are also interested in bidding for the fabled circuit. Ecclestone said he that hopes that someone buys the Nurburgring “as we enjoy being here”. “We are always happy to come here,” he added, “especially as we’ve been coming here for so long.” (GMM) Subbed by AJN. Tweet Related NewsRussian billionaire buys NurburgringNurburgring buyout on brink of collapseNew Nurburgring owner misses second paymentMagnussen not interested in talking to MassaMercedes backtrack on Brembo blame for Hamilton shuntRicciardo: It’s nice to get respect from FernandoHamilton targets high five in HungaryTech Talk: Hockenheim AnalysisGermany could host two grands prix per yearMassa: Rookies just take it easy!