Having recovered his career jeopardising form with a flurry of strong races at the end of last year, Felipe Massa is once again at risk of falling into another spiral that could cost him his Ferrari seat.
The Brazilian, re-signed only on a new one-year contract after his speculation blighted 2012 season, has been involved in a string of crashes and incidents, now stretching back several races to Monaco.
The latest was on Sunday at the Nurburgring, where Massa inexplicably spun and then stalled into retirement on lap four.
Asked if he is continuing to back the 32-year-old, despite other candidates like Nico Hulkenberg and Jules Bianchi looming large, team boss Stefano Domenicali said on Sunday: “Absolutely.”
“I have always said that we believe in him,” he is quoted by Russia’s Formula 1news.ru.
“Yes, there are critical moments, and of course we are not happy with the results, but we have to support Felipe, because the team is fighting for the constructors’ championship. He knows that the team is 100 per cent behind him.”
Notwithstanding Domenicali’s quotes, even Massa acknowledged that he is not sure where he stands regarding 2014.
“I have no idea if it will jeopardise my future,” he is quoted by Brazil’s Totalrace on Sunday. “The only thing I can say is that I am not happy with what happened today.”
It seems that Sunday was simply Massa’s latest driver error.
“I am serious enough to say that the team did not see anything wrong with the car,” Massa is quoted by O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper.
“The most important thing is that, as far as performance [goes], I was doing a great job this weekend, and that’s what matters for the next races,” added Massa.
“I’ve come out of a hole many times in the past, and one more will not make a difference.” (GMM)
Subbed by AJN.