Fernando Alonso on Thursday slammed suggestions that Ferrari might have been unhappy with his lack-lustre performance recently at Monaco.
Some commentators say the Spaniard lacked his usual fire in the Principality, where he was passed during the race by Sergio Perez, Adrian Sutil and Jenson Button, and finished seventh.
“When [Stefano] Domenicali and president [Luca di] Montezemolo tell me they are unhappy with my performance, that’s when I’ll worry,” Alonso is quoted by Brazil’s Totalrace in Montreal.
The former double world champion said that criticism, just like high praise after his Spanish Grand Prix victory earlier in May, is “part of the sport”.
“I will stay very calm, knowing what worked and what did not work [in Monaco], said Alonso.
Asked if Monaco and the aftermath affected his motivation, Alonso is quoted by Spain’s AS newspaper: “I’m exactly the same, it’s June and May’s pay came just like April’s.”
With 13 races to go, Alonso’s deficit to Sebastian Vettel’s championship lead is 29 points. (GMM)
Subbed by AJN.