Pirelli claims Mercedes has not tested tyres tweaked for Canada 31 May, 2013 Pirelli tyres will be tested by all in Montreal Pirelli on Friday categorically denied Mercedes has already evaluated the new tyre that other teams will only test for the first time next Friday, when they tested in ‘secret’ at Circuit de Catalunya. Amid the controversy about Mercedes’ exclusive ‘secret’ tyre test at Barcelona after the Spanish Grand Prix, Formula 1’s tyre supplier released a comprehensive media statement. The biggest piece of new information is Pirelli’s denial that Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg have already run the design tweaks that will be supplied to the rest of the field only next Friday in Canada, ahead of a possible race debut at Silverstone. “The tyres used (by Mercedes) were not from the current championship but belonged to a range of products still being developed in view of an eventual renewal of the supply contract (beyond 2013),” read part of the Pirelli statement. It reiterated that the tyres tested by Mercedes are “not in use in the current season and not destined to be used later during the 2013 season”. Pirelli also said Mercedes’ controversial use of its 2013 car was “the subject of discussions between the team and (the) FIA” prior to the Barcelona test. “Pirelli made no requests and had no way of knowing if rules were being violated,” the statement added. Pirelli also confirmed that the changes to be tested in Canada will not affect “the duration of the tyres” and “the number of pitstops”, due to the “lack of unanimity on the part of the teams”. (GMM) Tweet Related NewsWolff: I still have trauma from MontrealFIA confirm Perez responsible for shunt with MassaMassa: I will not trust Perez anymoreForce India seek to overturn Perez penaltySmedley out of order in Montreal says HeadMercedes: Now we know the limitsRicciardo now a serious title contender?Mercedes: Canada was a good wake up callFormula 1 united in praise for RicciardoRaikkonen: Very difficult to understand what is going on Apex Assassin Lol, what a joke these statements from Pirelli have become. Other F1 sites have quotes from Hembrey saying that Merc only did 10% on the Canada tyres and the other 90% was on the kevlar belted tyres to be used in FP1 by all teams. This sad joke has become boring and isn’t adding to “the show”… in fact it’s taking away from the prestige and performance that is F1.