Vergne believes that Toro Rosso has faith in him

Jean Eric Vergne at Silverstone during previews to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone Circuit on July 5, 2012 in Northampton, England.Nov.13 (GMM) Jean-Eric Vergne believes that his paymasters still believe that he has what it takes to perform in Formula One, despite the 22-year-old Frenchman’s debut season with the Red Bull junior team Toro Rosso having some highs and quite a few lows.

On the one hand, he has out-scored his slightly more experienced teammate Daniel Ricciardo, but on the other he has been ousted from the initial ‘Q1′ qualifying segment on no fewer than 8 grand prix Saturdays so far.

Still, Toro Rosso has signed him up for 2013.

“It gives me a good boost,” Vergne is quoted by France’s L’Equipe.

“It also demonstrates that the team believes in my ability to become even stronger.

“That is what I feel at the end of this season; I feel I can do much better, and the team as well. I’m confident for next year.”

Team boss Franz Tost said it was “always” the intention to field Vergne alongside Ricciardo for at least two full seasons.

“It takes time to settle into F1, to get to know all the tracks, to get to know the whole team,” he told F1′s official website recently.

“Remember, these are all very young guys who have to swallow a lot of new things in a very short time to even get started. That is why you have to give them two years.”

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner recently suggested that Vergne and Ricciardo are still candidates to replace Mark Webber in 2014.

Vergne noted: “Anything can happen. We are in 2012 and there is another full season with Toro Rosso ahead. I am not even thinking about 2014.”

Subbed by AJN.