Karthikeyan not good enough for Force India says boss

(L to R): Robert Fernley (GBR) Sahara Force India Formula One Team with Otmar Szafnauer (USA) Sahara Force India Formula One Team Chief Operating Officer. Formula One World Championship, Rd 17, Indian Grand Prix, Buddh International Circuit, Greater Noida, New Delhi, India, Practice Day, Friday 28 October 2011.Oct.27 (GMM) Force India has confirmed Narain Karthikeyan’s suspicion that the door to the Silverstone based team is closed, despite being the only Indian driver on the grid.

Currently hoping to keep his place on the grid with backmarkers HRT, Karthikeyan is F1′s only Indian driver, but so far he has never been seriously linked with countryman Vijay Mallya’s nationally-branded team.

Lewis Hamilton said this week he that has his fingers crossed for Karthikeyan, as a move to Force India would be “a huge stepping stone for him”.

But Karthikeyan, 35, replied that he thinks Force India “have their own plans” for 2013.

Indeed, Force India’s deputy Bob Fernley told the Indian Telegraph: “For the moment, we are very happy with the current set of drivers we have.

“[Do] you want to be simply patriotic or stay competitive on the circuit?” he asked rhetorically. “Force India are trying to improve their performance every year.

“Show me a good Indian driver and I will definitely be interested in him,” he added. “For the moment, we have no such plan,” added Fernley.

Subbed by AJN.