New Jersey governor says no problem with 2013 race

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie holds a news conference at the Port Imperial Ferry Terminal in New Jersey October 25, 2011 that New Jersey will play host to Formula One beginning of 2013. The Formula One Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial in Weehawken and West New York will take place in June 2013. AFP PHOTO / TIMOTHY A. CLARY (Photo credit should read TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images)Oct.2 (GMM) New Jersey governor Chris Christie is not worried and denies that plans for a Formula One street race next June are set to collapse.

Bernie Ecclestone triggered the uncertainty by revealing that the race organisers currently do not have a contract, despite the fact a June 16 date for the ‘grand prix of Jersey’ was ratified by the FIA at the end of last week.

The New York race, however, was listed with an asterisk denoting ‘TBC’ (to be confirmed).

Governor Christie said he phoned chief organiser Leo Hindery after reading about the reported uncertainty.

“He [Hindery] told me that it’s “absolutely happening,” Christie told reporters.

“I called and reached out and he told me there’s not a problem. It’s on the schedule.”

A spokesman for Hindery insisted that there would be no comment “on financial arrangements with F1″.

Indeed, Christie admitted that he didn’t know why the FIA has listed the New Jersey race with an asterisk.

“No one can explain it to me,” he said. “But I called the guy [Hindery] who’s in charge of the group that’s running the race and he told me it’s definitely happening, no problem.”

F1 chief executive Ecclestone told the Wall Street Journal on Monday that some provisions of the original New Jersey contract “went unfulfilled”.

But he added: “If they get together with all the provisions, everything will be ok.”

Hindery said: “We expect to fully satisfy all of F1’s requirements in the weeks ahead.”

Subbed by AJN.

  • tony sullivan

    govenor christie may support the race but not with NJ money