Perez: I feel ready to do a good job, to be in a top team, to fight for the title 20 September, 2012 Sergio Perez in Singapore Sep.20 (Reuters) Sauber’s Sergio Perez is playing his cards close to his chest regarding his Formula One future after arriving in Singapore for Sunday’s grand prix fresh from his third podium of the season, in Monza, two weeks ago. The 22-year-old Mexican has shown plenty of promise in his second season at the elite level with his second-place finish in Italy fuelling speculation that a move to a bigger team was imminent. As Ferrari mull over Felipe Massa’s future, many believe Perez is in prime position to join championship leader Fernando Alonso at the Italian outfit for the start of the 2013 campaign. Paddock rumours linking Lewis Hamilton with a switch from McLaren to Mercedes have also opened the possibility of a spare seat at the British team but Perez was toeing the party line on Thursday and played down talk about his future. “In my position, when I score good points the rumours start but if I have a bad race, the rumours go away and they [the media] chase another driver who has a good result,” Perez told reporters. “In that respect, I am not worried. I know I have a very strong car for the next seven races so I just hope to deliverer a strong performance.” Perez’s performances have lifted him to ninth in the standings on 65 points, ahead of both Massa and seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, but, when pressed about whether he had been contacted over a possible move, his response was short and to the point. “There have been no approaches from any teams,” he said. The Ferrari Driving Academy member’s hopes of an early step up to the prestigious Italian outfit were recently dealt a blow when the team’s chairman Luca di Montezemolo said that Perez lacked the necessary experience to join forces with Alonso. “I fully respect his opinion. I have to know my position; probably, he means to become a Ferrari driver you need more… I don’t know because it’s only my second year in F1,” Perez said. “I feel ready to do a good job, to be in a top team, to be able to fight for the title, for the championship, so in that respect I feel ready…but I fully respect his opinion. “Regarding McLaren, there have been many rumours around. Before it was Ferrari and now it is McLaren. My most important thing is to keep doing a good job and try to maximise this car’s potential for the next seven races.” Subbed by AJN. Tweet Related NewsSauber: A very disappointing raceSauber: Energy management issues didn’t help us at allSauber: We ran into some unexpected limitationsSauber preview Singapore Grand Prix weekendSauber: We are heading in the right direction with the carSauber: Overall it was a very positive qualifyingSauber: We still have some work to doFIA red faced over ‘Lotus’ driver Hulkenberg blunderSingapore Grand Prix: Sauber preview Marina Bay weekendSauber: The biggest problem this weekend was our pace Butterfly Yeah, they all feel ready. Maldonado always feels ready, yet look what happens. This guy’s going to have a shock driving the same car as Alonso – if that happens at all. Alemar @Butterfly Hey girl… dont compare this real driver with nascar demolition derby driver Maldonado. Why a shock? Alonso was the shocked one after Perez owned him last race. Maybe youre racist, I can tell that by how you speak on both. hillside he should stay with Sauber and make it a power house team aks whoever takes perez will be the biggest loser next,he has just been lucky to be on the podium and ferrari is very smart they wouldnt take somebody n suffer ferrari means pure buisness aks vettel is the name ferrari wants after alonso Butterfly Ferrari expect Alonso to get tired of driving at 37 like Schumacher did, but I don’t think it will happen. We’ll see Alonso and the other guys ten years from now still dominating the sport, and it’s all because of the lack of testing. You can’t create another Alonso or Hamilton in this environment, they just can’t gather experience.