Ferrari boss saddened by Trulli’s departure 17 February, 2012 Stefano Domenicali Feb.17 (Ferrari) In Italy, Friday 17th is considered an unlucky date by some,and, if you are a supporter of Italian motor sport then this is particularly true, because today, the last of the country’s representatives among the drivers entered for the Formula 1 World Championship found his name removed from the list. Jarno Trulli has been let go by Caterham to make way for Vitaly Petrov. “I am very sad that, after so many years [not since 1969] there will not be an Italian driver in the Formula 1 World Championship field,” said Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali. “I say this on the sporting front and on a personal level when it comes to Jarno, who only on a few occasions has had a car capable of showing off his talents. So here, I wish him all the best for the future, both in racing and away from the track.” “It’s a difficult moment for our sport, partly for external reasons. For a few years now, Ferrari through its Driver Academy, has established a long term plan to create a new generation of young drivers, which works also in collaboration with the CSAI and I am pleased to see that just now, we can announce that two talented youngsters, Raffaele Marciello and Brandon Maisano, will be given a great opportunity to progress in the sport.” Among the group of drivers available to the Scuderia for racing and promotional activitiy, there are three Italians born and bred, in the shape of Andrea Bertolini, Giancarlo Fisichella and Davide Rigon, while Jules Bianchi has obvious Italian roots and will be able to make himself known this year in his role as reserve driver for Force India, as well as by racing in the World Series by Renault. Related NewsRicciardo: Ferrari dream is just a clicheContract may allow Alonso to leave FerrariLauda: I apologise to Ferrari, Luca and Italian fansAlonso hints that Raikkonen must improveLauda: McLaren and Ferrari have sh*t carsAlonso: Hockenheim best race of season so farAlonso: I’ve heard a lot of plansAlonso: Ricciardo was very, very smart – a great fightRed Bull and Ferrari considered protesting MercedesFerrari: We pushed to the limit https://www.facebook.com/Matthiasokeeffe Matthias O’keeffe Instead of feeling sad, why don’t you hire Jarno Trulli as ur 2nd driver at Ferrari and replace Massa.. Then the country don’t have to feel sad… And everyone can be happy.. Snakes Well said, Xav Good Point Rich The Italians need to get over themselves. Quit your whining. Bec “I am very sad that, after so many years [not since 1969] there will not be an Italian driver in the Formula 1 World Championship field.” Ernesto Brambilla was there in 1969, although to be fair he was in a Ferrari 312, and so he didn’t make the start of the Italian GP, but he did out qualify Jackie Ickx in the Brabham BT26-Ford by over 7 seconds. bimmer I agree with Matthias O’keeffe why dont l.d.m or s.d. give him the 2nd drive for the prancing horses so that italians will be happy to have a italian driver on the italian team. i think massa needs to retire. its just a waste of time, money and points. Twiinz Jarno had lost his desire. look at his times last year. heiki waxed him all season. replacing Massa with him is crazy talk. so what if there is no Italian driver this year. I’m American and you won’t hear me whine that there are no drivers from the USA in F1. This is the pinnacle of racing , not a quota series. Sennauno @Twiinz Dare I say Italians & Italy are historically far more connected and a part of Formula 1 than USA…i dont think anyone’s demanding any quota’s …IMO Italians have a right to winge & cry a little..after all, they are Italian France has gone for some years without representation too…& they invented Grand Prix. Knowing the French, they probably defected to WRC as they have one of the best in history in Sebastian Loeb jiss George lol Matthias!!