Schumacher committed to F1 until 2012

Michael Schumacher (GER) Mercedes GP. Formula One World Championship, Rd 7, Turkish Grand Prix, Preparations, Istanbul Park, Turkey, Thursday 27 May 2010.

Michael Schumacher

Jul.22 (GMM) Michael Schumacher has confirmed reports he is still committed to his formula one return with Mercedes.

After a three year retirement, the seven time world champion’s performances this year have disappointed some, but team official Norbert Haug insists the German marque is not reconsidering its 2011 lineup.

“I am still motivated to achieve my goals in the three years,” Schumacher, 41, told German reporters on Wednesday. “There’s nothing to add.

“I’m not entirely happy with the results, but I didn’t expect to drive everyone into the ground. Basically, I’m feeling good and having a lot of fun,” added the record winner of 91 grands prix.

Schumacher admitted that qualifying is his most obvious weakness so far. “We’re working on it,” he said.

His younger teammate Nico Rosberg backed Schumacher as “without doubt the strongest teammate I’ve had in F1″.

“I can say the same,” Schumacher replied.

The German’s former Ferrari teammate Eddie Irvine, however, has a different view about Schumacher’s return.

“Michael took his gamble (to return) but it’s backfired,” the Ulsterman told the Sun newspaper.

“Ross Brawn was running the team, Mercedes were coming back so every box was ticked. Except the new car was shit,” said Irvine.